A couple years ago, we went to a Lebanese restaurant in town, and my husband ordered grilled halloumi cheese. It is a goat and sheep milk cheese. Wow! it was so good! Since then, we always order halloumi when we go to that place. Halloumi cheese has a very unique taste and texture. We both love this dish, and I tried to make it at home so we can have it more often! Whole Foods usually has a good selection of imported cheese, but they didn’t have halloumi last week because of a goat milk shortage in Greece. So I went to a local Mediterranean market and voila, I found some!
Grilled halloumi is easy and quick to prepare, and it is really delicious! You can serve it as appetizer, or it can be a complete meal with salads and pita bread.
It has a very high melting point so you can grill it! I used a small indoor electric grill, and served the cheese with dried dates and homemade pita bread. By the way, I will post a pita bread recipe sometime later ^^ Halloumi is a little bit salty, and it goes really well with sweet dried dates! Enjoy!
Grilled halloumi with dates
Things you need
2 servings as a meal or 4 servings as an appetizer
- 1 package halloumi cheese (8 slices)
- 4-5 dried dates
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp dried basil
- 2 TBS olive oil
- Cut the cheese about 1 cm (0.4 inches) thick.
- Grill the cheese for about 2 minutes for each side. (my grill has no temperature control so it is probably set to high).
- Place cheese on a plate and sprinkle dried oregano, basil, pepper on the grilled cheese.
- Pour olive oil over the grilled cheese.
- Cut dried dates into small pieces and serve with the cheese.